Pages

"Daily frame me more and more into the likeness of Thy Son, Jesus Christ." - George Washington

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

La vingt-septième journée {Day twenty-seven} 8.31.11


   All by my lonesome. Again. Kristina has a reaaalllllyyy long class tonight, which isn't over til 10. -.-

   (Yes, that's the same picture as the last post...)

   I think I'm gonna break out the ginger ale... and... well... not much else because I'm out of groceries. =P So I'll break out the ginger ale and watch a sappy romantic movie or something. I'm in a down sort of mood.

   No, I'm not normally moody, and it isn't a girl thing. Truth is, my dear friend and mentor and adopted grandfather-figure passed away this morning. ='[ Dick Swisher.

   He had been fighting with cancer for more than a year now, and he developed tumors deep in his brain over the last few weeks, which led to a rapid decline. It was hard to watch, and we all knew he would be leaving soon.

   But if he were reading this, he would tell me "To live is Christ, to die is gain."

   I cannot... even put the right words together, to describe how he lived this. He lived "desiderio domini", longing to be with his Savior. He always had a gleam in his eye as he explained the wonders he had found in the God's Word, and truth that the Lord had revealed to him. He always had a grin on his face, he was never cross or sullen. He was thrilled to impart to me the things he had been taught, I was his Timothy and he was my Paul. I never doubted that he loved me and wanted me to seek the Lord and to seek for truth.

   I am who I am because of this wonderful man, Richard Swisher. He and his wife Dixie mentored me through a point in my life where I had to decide what I believed. I have been shaped by what they taught me. They helped to lay a foundation that I have built my faith and actions on. I owe them more than I can fathom.

   And even more unfathomable is the joy, and the look of utter ecstasy on Dick's face right now. I can picture so clearly in my mind's eye, him bowing at his Father's feet, with pure peace and joy, and adoration for the One that He strived to give glory to while he was here on earth.

   This all sounds so trite, human words aren't adequate for what I know deep within me. I long to be with Dick again someday, as does his dear helpmeet and wife Dixie. We will all bow at the Savior's feet and forever live in His paradise.

   Dick lived here with his true home always in mind. I could see it in that gleam in his eye, he was always in the presence of the Lord. May I live up to the legacy he left, may I never forget the example he set for me, and always strive to glorify God.

   Dear Heavenly Father, tell Dick that I love him, and I can't wait to see him again. If you give hugs in Heaven, give him one for me. =']

No comments:

Post a Comment