Pages

"Daily frame me more and more into the likeness of Thy Son, Jesus Christ." - George Washington

Friday, November 13, 2009

"Whom God Wills"

Whom God Wills

I wanted to tell you about how my transformation unto understanding began. It began with the Lord, but Ms. Lynn was one of His instruments. When I was about 12 or 13 years old, I was in an art class and I overheard her speaking with a friend about something new to me – predestination; and though I never meant to eavesdrop, Lynn wanted me to. Our friend was quite astonished, as was I, that God would pick and choose not only who would go to Heaven, but also who would go to Hell. She kept reiterating “But I thought God loved everyone.” She meant no argument, she was only confused as I was, and Lynn told us that the Bible was actually quite clear about predestination. All we had to do was take a good look at Romans and Ephesians.

She explained that predestination is like adoption; when you go to an orphanage, you have a given right to choose whichever child you prefer, you don’t have to take them all. And of course underlying that is God’s perfect sovereign right to do whatever He wants, partly because He is Master and Creator of all things. Shouldn’t a great composer be allowed to design a masterpiece according to his own whims? Those who play the symphony have no right to complain or decide what it should sound like. Even more biblically, we can look at the potter who forms the clay to be an honorable vessel or a dishonorable vessel. The clay cannot speak, the clay cannot move, only the potter shapes and controls it.

I’ve gotten a little carried away, but my point is that it’s not only possible for God to choose whom He wills to save, but that He does.

God bless, Auty

No comments:

Post a Comment