Pages

"Daily frame me more and more into the likeness of Thy Son, Jesus Christ." - George Washington

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Friday Night :: The Art Festival

This is Xavier Nuez, one of my favorite photographers. I saw his work last year at the downtown art festival and was completely impressed, so I looked him up eventually and found his website and blog. I was excited to finally meet him and get to hear about his passion in person.

In case you hadn't noticed the photos in the background, his photography takes him to different parts of town. He has been able to find beauty and serenity in the slums and alleyways of the darkest cities. He wanders into abandoned parts of town in the middle of the night to capture glimpses of things forgotten -- places with many stories to tell, and no one to tell them. He has been to places such as Detroit, Chicago, and Compton. He's had countless run-ins with policemen and gangs, some encounters friendly and inspiring, others... not so much. But what I enjoy most about his work is that he is pursuing his passion, as odd as it may look to others. He loves his job so much, he never has to go to work. You don't have to have a degree and a desk job to get along in life.

If you ever happen to read this, Xavier Nuez, thank you so much for taking time to answer my questions. And thank you so much for the magnet! Someday, when I'm not on a minimum wage, I'll finally buy a piece of your work. I pray that you continue to enjoy your work, inspiring others, and that God blesses you in all your endeavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment