Pages

"Daily frame me more and more into the likeness of Thy Son, Jesus Christ." - George Washington

Monday, April 25, 2011

Who Am I? Jean Valjean

   I. Am. Obsessed. With Les Misérables. It is the best Broadway show in existense, not merely because of relatable characters, epic music or realistic costuming and set pieces. It is the best Broadway show of all time because of the story it was written from. The scruples, and inner turmoil of the characters is paramount! There is so much to be learned from such a thought-provoking show.

   My favorite song is Jean Valjean's debate with himself. He was a former convict who broke his parole and became a beloved mayor through honest and honorable means. He thought his past was behind him, until 20 years later, an innocent man was caught and convicted of Valjean's crimes. This song portrays his diffucult decision between letting this man take his punishment, or being merciful and revealing his identity.
He thinks that man is me, he knew him at a glance.
This stranger he has found, this man could be my chance.
Why should I save his hide? Why should I right this wrong?
When I have come so far, and struggled for so long?
If I speak, I am condemned.
If I stay silent, I am damned

I am the master of hundreds of workers, they all look to me.
Can I abandon them, how will they live if I am not free?
If I speak, I am condemned.
If I stay silent, I am damned.

Who am I?
Can I condemn this man to slavery,
Pretend I do not see his agony?
This innocent who bears my face,
Who goes to judgement in my place.

Who am I?
Can I conceal myself forevermore,
Pretend I'm not the man I was before?
And must my name until I die,
Be no more than an alibi?

Must I lie?
How can I ever face my fellow men?
How can I ever face myself again?
My soul belongs to God, I know.
I made that bargain long ago.
He gave me hope when hope was gone.
He gave me strength to journey on.

Who am I? Who am I?
I'm Jean Valjean!
And so Javert, you see it's true;
This man bears no more guilt than you.
Who am I?
24601!

2 comments:

  1. Nice lyrics! thanks for sharing this song!...Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY WORD!!! I love finding people who are as obsessed with Les Mis as I am! :D
    Jean Valjean is, in a word, EPIC. And this song is incredible. Actually, all the songs are, so what can I say? ;) But seriously, all the characters in this play are beautiful, as is the music and depth to it. Have you ever read the book? Aghh, it is almost as amazing as it is long. Haha, I personally think it's one of the best pieces of literature ever written. And that's saying something.
    So after getting totally obsessed with Les Mis recently, and reading the book and such, I actually got to see the Broadway musical in March! It was beyond all words for describing how glorious it was...I am in LOVE.
    Lol, sorry for the comment that's more like a book, but there's nothing wrong with sharing Les Mis love, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete