Pages

"Daily frame me more and more into the likeness of Thy Son, Jesus Christ." - George Washington

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Persevering

   Psalm 27:7-8. Hear, O LORD, when I cry with my voice! Have mercy also upon me, and answer me. When You said, "Seek My face," My heart said to You, "Your face, LORD, I will seek."
   I just spent one fantastic week at TeenPact (a Christian government education program if you're wondering). That's always one of the best weeks of my year because it's positively drenched in God's Word and prayer. It's so unifying, like a little piece of what Heaven must be like. Everyone seeks to give the LORD glory in everything they do, and they build eachother up at the same time. It's basically a spiritual high.

   It's so easy to enjoy a time of communion and fellowship with your brothers and sisters, and with Abba Father. But it's even easier to come crashing down in the weeks following. You go home, starving for more of God's Word. Time goes by nonetheless, and before you know it, you've settled right back into complacency.

   For years, I'd wonder what was wrong. Why can't I keep up this passion? I've pondered and meditated and tried to sort it out. I still don't have an answer. I don't know if it's a bad thing to settle back into complacency and callousness, or if that's just everyday life. But I know what has worked for me just this last year and it's simple. Be diligent. Persevere.

   It was particularly after TeenPact National Convention. God convicted me about purity in every aspect and my heart was softened. He took away my callousness and I have never experienced such communion with the LORD. I knew very well that the spiritual high wouldn't last when I got home. Just like the writer of Come Thou Fount, I'm prone to wander and I would stray sooner or later.

   So I decided that my spiritual life wouldn't go up and down with TeenPact events, but would remain steady in everyday life. My everyday walk with God would be one step after another, not giving up. I knew hard times would come, but I also knew those hard times would come with grace in proportion. God has always guided me, and He would continue to.

   My blog has reflected my up and down walk with God. I usually share whatever I happen to learn, but I wasn't always learning. There are times when I go days without reading my Bible, and times when I could spend hours reading and studying. In the dificult times, I usually needed to come to a realization that my anchor chain was being stretched tight. I had to see that my life was losing its luster before I started climbing back up. But when God opened my eyes, He was faithful to bring me back.

   It takes steady step-after-step commitment. It takes daily exercise and the strength of God to stay fixed upon Him. But don't give up. You don't need to wait - in fact you shouldn't wait - for your next spiritual high to be able get back on track with God. After all, He's always the same through the good times and bad. The same God who drew you near up on the moutain top, also walks beside you in the valley.

   This isn't the end of my journey. I have a long way to go and I know there are more valleys along the way. But each one makes me a stronger and more seasoned follower of God, if I keep Him by side.

   In parting I want to share a hymn I read this morning, that encouraged me never to give up. When I open my Bible, I don't want to read my chapter and check it off the to-do list. I need meat from the Spirit. I ought never leave my study time until I have been taught by the Lord.

Lord, we come before Thee now
At Thy feet we humbly bow
Oh, do not our suit disdain!
Shall we seek Thee, Lord, in vain?
Lord, on Thee our souls depend
In compassion now descend
Fill our hearts with Thy rich grace
Tune our lips to sing Thy praise
In Thine own appointed way
Now we seek Thee, here we stay
Lord, we know not how to go
Till a blessing Thou bestow
Send some message from Thy Word
That may joy and peace afford
Let Thy Spirit now impart
Full salvation to each heart

No comments:

Post a Comment