Pages

"Daily frame me more and more into the likeness of Thy Son, Jesus Christ." - George Washington

Monday, January 10, 2011

The Old Lie

   If you have been reading my blog for any stretch of time, you may have figured out that carried-away feelings are one of my pet peeves. I saw a quote the other day that quite neatly proves what happens when you depend on your feelings.
   People say, "What's the point in liking someone who doesn't like you back?" They're right. There isn't a point. But you can't help who you like. It's not up to you. Your heart just kinda decides for you. And there's no turning back onces your heart makes up its mind.
   This quote was meant to be in favor of that old lie- "follow your heart". And it made my blood boil to read it! This is what teenage girls think is the truth. They don't examine their motives and feelings in light of God's truths, they're not seeking to please the Lord in their actions.

   Ladies (and gentlemen, perhaps), it is entirely your choice. You can let your heart lead you on a thousand wild goose-chases, or you can be the master of it. Your heart does not control you. If it does, you live a pathetic, misguided life indeed.

   I found a verse many years ago that has become my solid stand-by when frustating quotes such as these come across my path.

   "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desprately wicked; who can know it? I, the Lord, search the heart, I test the mind, even to give every man according to his ways, according to the fruit of his doings." Jeremiah 17:9-10
   The heart is deceitful! And desprately wicked! Do you really think that by following your heart, you will be led down the proper path?

   The Lord judges our actions, not our motives. It is far better to do what you know is right. Not what you feel is right.

   There, that was my rant. The end.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this! You are so right. We are bombarded with this deceitful message left and right... it's truly terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise God that He promises to change our hearts!!

    ReplyDelete