Pages

"Daily frame me more and more into the likeness of Thy Son, Jesus Christ." - George Washington

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Leaning

   I've been going through a low spot in my walk with the Lord, and just like the person who wrote Come Thou Fount, I am prone to wander. Prone to leave the God I love. He has drawn me nearer to Him again in the last few days, I've been able to look back at the journey of my life this year and see the ups and downs.

   My wandering was the result of idolatry. There was something that I was more concerned with than pleasing my Father and knowing Him more, and I lost my sense of security. It's sort of like a vicious circle, you let your faith in God stumble, then you begin to sink. And when you begin to sink, so does your faith.

   I'm sure quite a few of you have been to see the new movie, True Grit. I enjoyed it the other night, and was especially impressed that the entire soundtrack was based on the tune of Leaning On The Everlasting Arms. I was so impressed that I had that song stuck in my head for the rest of the night... and honestly it still is. I've been meditating on it quite a bit. It turned out to be just what I needed to meditate on, God works in mysterious ways.

   The next day during my Bible study, I read in Sarah Young's book Jesus Calling:
   "Refresh yourself in the peace of My presence. This peace can be your portion at all times and in all circumstances. Learn to hide in the secret of My presence, even as you carry out your duties in the world. I am both with you and within you. I go before you to open up the way, and I also walk alongside you. There could never be another companion as devoted as I am."
   "Because I am your constant companion, there should be a lightness to your step that is observable to others. Do not be weighed down with problems and unresolved issues, for I am your burden-bearer. In the world you have trials and distress, but don't let them get you down. I have conquered the world and deprived it of power to harm you. In Me you may have confidence of peace."
   So my theme these past few days has been Peace. Knowing that God is in control. Knowing that He has the best for me. Being content. Trusting Him.

Psalm 31:19-20
Oh, how great is Your goodness,
         Which You have laid up for those who fear You,
         Which You have prepared for those who trust in You
         In the presence of the sons of men!
You shall hide them in the secret place of Your presence
         From the plots of man;
         You shall keep them secretly in a pavilion
         From the strife of tongues.

John 16:33
These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.”

Philippians 4:6-7
Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
What a fellowship, what a joy divine
Leaning on the everlasting arms.
What a blessedness what a peace is mine
Leaning on the everlasting arms.

Leaning, leaning. Safe and secure from all alarms.
Leaning, leaning. Leaning on the everlasting arms.

Oh how sweet to walk in this pilgrim way
Leaning on the everlasting arms.
Oh how bright the path grows from day to day
Leaning on the everlasting arms.

Leaning, leaning. Safe and secure from all alarms.
Leaning, leaning. Leaning on the everlasting arms.

What have I to dread, what have I to fear
Leaning on the everlasting arms?
I have blessed peace, with my Lord so near
Leaning on the everlasting arms.

Leaning, leaning. Safe and secure from all alarms.
Leaning, leaning. Leaning on the everlasting arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment