Pages

"Daily frame me more and more into the likeness of Thy Son, Jesus Christ." - George Washington

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Jane Eyre Quotes


"Thank you Mr. Rochester for your great kindness. I am strangely glad to get back again to you, and wherever you are is my home, my only home."


"Now he has his back towards me," thought I, "and he is occupied too; perhaps, if I walk softly, I can slip away unnoticed."
I trod on the edging of the turf that the crackle of the pebbly gravel might not betray me: he was standing among the beds at a yard or two distant from where I had to pass; the moth apparently engaged him. "I shall get by very well." I meditated. As I crossed his shadow, thrown long over the garden by the moon, not yet risen high, he said quietly, without turning --
"Jane, come look at this fellow."


"You are going, Jane?"
"I am going, sir."
"You are leaving me?"
"Yes."
"You will not come? You will not be my comforter, my rescuer? My deep love, my wild woe, my frantic prayer, are all nothing to you?"
What unutterable pathos was in his voice! How hard it was to reiterate firmly. "I am going."
"Jane!"
"Mr. Rochester!"
"Withdraw then - I consent; but remember, you leave me here in anguish. Go up to your own room; think over all I have said, and Jane, cast a glance on my sufferings - think of me."
He turned away; he threw himself on his face on the sofa. "Oh, Jane! My hope -- my love -- my life!" broke in anguish from his lips. Then came a deep strong sob.
I had already gained the door; but, reader, I walked back - walked back as determinedly as I had retreated. I knelt down by him; I turned his face from the cushion to me; I kissed his cheek; I smoothed his hair with my hand. "God bless you, my dear master!" I said. "God keep you from all harm and wrong -- direct you, solace you -- reward you well for your past kindness to me."
"Little Jane's love would have been my reward," he answered; "without it, my heart is broken. But Jane will give me her love: yes -- nobly, generously." Up the blood rushed to his face; forth flashed the fire from his eyes; erect he sprang; he held his arms out; but I evaded the embrace, and at once quitted the room.
"Farewell!" was the cry of my heart as I left. Despair added,
"Farewell for ever!"
"We are one, you and I... We are like those twins, so intertwined in their senses and feelings that they call out to one another across continents, so close are their thoughts."
(From the BBC movie)


"It is a crime against God to deny yourself love. It should be the eleventh commandment!"
(From the BBC movie)


"St. John! You used to call Jane your third sister, but you don't treat her as such: you should kiss her too."
She pushed me towards him. I thought Diana very provoking, and felt uncomfortably confused; and while I was thus thinking and feeling, St. John bent his head; his Greek face was brought to a level with mine, his eyes questioned my eyes peircingly - he kissed me. There are no such things as marble kisses or ice kisses, or should I say my ecclesiastical cousin's salute belonged to one of these classes; but there may be experiment kisses, and his was an experiment kiss. When given, he viewed me to learn the result; it was not striking: I am sure I did not blush; perhaps I might have turned a little pale, for I felt as if this kiss were a seal affixed to my fetters. He never omitted the ceremony afterward, and the gravity and quiescence with which I underwent it seemed to invest in it for him with a certain charm.
"We shall have to teach fat little boys lessons they don't want to learn."
(From the BBC movie)


"Do I look quite hideous, Jane?"
"Yes sir. You always did, you know."

No comments:

Post a Comment