Pages

"Daily frame me more and more into the likeness of Thy Son, Jesus Christ." - George Washington

Monday, August 2, 2010

Gain Through Loss

   I had a stroke of brilliance the other day. Why should I should do all the writing? If I can find plenty of guest writers, I would never have to conjure up another blog post ever again! lol Okay, not really. But I did want to ask a few good friends to write a blog post once in awhile; people who influence me a lot, or have challenged me to grow more. And my first guest writer is someone who I confide everything in, who gives sound Biblical advice, and never stops asking me questions to ponder. Everybody meet, my mom, Jill Rasmussen! =)

   She and I have grown unspeakably close in past few years, through private Bible studies together, and just bouncing meditations off each other. I am grateful beyond words for my mom. Y'alls should be so jealous because I have the most awesome mom ever! =)

   I asked her to write a few paragraphs about what she has been learning lately, and so devote your full attention to her sagely wisdom. ^.^

   One of my all-time favorite quotes I have written in the front of my Bible:
 
“Measure thy life by loss and not by gain;
Not by the wine drunk, but by the wine poured forth.
For love’s strength standeth in love’s sacrifice;
And he that suffered most, has most to give.”
--Ugo Bassi
 
   God works so many times in ways that seem opposite to us; counterintuitive to our human mind.  And if we can find gain by losing something, then I’m sure that is  evidence of God’s work and it is comforting to me.  “And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or fields for my sake will receive a hundred times as much and will inherit eternal life.” -- Matt. 19:29.
 
   Suffering and loss usually go hand-in-hand.  “In bringing many sons to glory, it was fitting that God, for whom and through whom everything exists, should make the author of their salvation perfect through suffering.”  -- Heb. 2:10.  Who lost more than Jesus ever did?  Who received more glory than Jesus ever did?  Will we receive our gain here on earth for the many things we have lost or suffered?  Maybe a little bit here and there.  But I have a feeling most of the gain will be eternal reward.  It’s what we can’t see and the reason faith is required, and what we don’t know is going on in the unseen world, that is the real reason and reward for loss.
 
   And that leads to perseverance.  If we have lost something important -- and the really important things usually aren’t material -- it’s easy to be very disappointed and lose hope.  But if God leads us to believe in the unseen things going on in our behalf to bring about gain, it will help us to persevere and not give up.    “Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings because we know that suffering produces perseverance.” -- Romans 5:3.
 
   Whose life do you admire?  That person most likely is worth admiring because they have suffered, persevered and in the end, gained something precious  (only God knows what that gain specifically is).  “He that suffered most, has most to give.”  Hang in there.

-Jill Rasmussen

No comments:

Post a Comment