Pages

"Daily frame me more and more into the likeness of Thy Son, Jesus Christ." - George Washington

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Thorn In My Heart

I just wanted to let y'all know (if anyone reads this blog) what I've been up to since I've had the flu for a week. To pass the time, I picked up this wonderful book that I started awhile back, Thorn In My Heart. It's kept me VERY well entertained, I must say; I finished it in the same day and I plan on finishing the second one tonight. I also ordered the third one, I can't wait 'til it comes!
It's a historical fiction/christian romance, which takes place in 18th century Scotland (a place I'm dying to go now!) and is entirely based on the Biblical story of Jacob and Esau, and Rachel and Leah. Just knowing the main plot is enough to keep you fettered to this book! I'm always wanting to know how the author will direct her story, since I know she has such-and-such parts of the story to fill. And though the story is a wee bit fantastical, or radical, it is much more realistic and satisfying than any vampire story. Just a note of forewarning: this book is not for young readers, it has some minor, but mature content. Please don't be mistaken, 'tis very clean, but mature in some respects.

I find myself longing to be as patient and perseverant as the main character, Leana. If anyone has ever read the Elsie Dinsmore series, they will find quite a resemblance. Don't be mistaken, Leana is not an angel and makes some grave mistakes, but she is a very admirable godly character, and a deeply devoted wife and mother in the face of all odds. I find this book not only enjoyable, but even profitable, and if you finish it, be sure to read the others; Fair Is The Rose, Whence Came A Prince, Grace In Thine Eyes and Here Burns My Candle. Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment